The Essex County College Public Safety Academy is currently accepting applications for the 2018 Alternate Route Basic Course for Police Officer.
Candidates interested in formal exam preparation can contact CCS Test Prep through the following link: CCS Test Prep – Chief’s Exam Prep.
The Essex County College Public Safety Academy has released the following information:
The application for the actual examination can be accessed at the following link: Essex County Alternate Route Exam Application.
Registration will close on May 18, 2018 OR when the maximum number of applications (450) have been met. The fee for the exam application is set at $95.
ALTERNATE ROUTE BASIC COURSE FOR POLICE OFFICERS
A written examination will be held Saturday, June 02, 2018 at the Essex County College Public Safety Training Academy, 250 Grove Avenue, Cedar Grove, NJ 07009. Check in time begins at 9:15 AM
STUDY GUIDES AVAILABLE:
Study Guides will be available for pickup at the academy between 9:00 am and 3:00 pm M-F during the dates applications are open (02/26/18 – 05/18/18). Proof of test registration will be required.
What Is The Alternate Route Basic Course For Police Officers?
This program was designed to give individuals interested in becoming police officers, the opportunity to attend a police training academy at their own expense, prior to being hired by a police department.
Although successful completion of the program does not assure a participant a position in law enforcement, graduates will have received training from a certified police academy, and are able to pursue employment as a certified police officer.
Basic Police Training commences in the Summer and Winter of each year, and is 22 weeks in duration. The Essex County College Public Safety Academy is not a residency school, thus allowing trainees to attend from 6:00 A.M. to 3:00 P.M. each day.
As an Alternate Route Trainee your expenses will include:
- Registration Fee
- Medical and Psychological Examinations
- Uniforms and Equipment for an approximate total cost of $4,500.00.
Candidates applying for the Alternate Route Program MUST meet the following requirements:
- AGE: 18-35
- Is a citizen of the United States
- Is sound in body and of good health sufficient to satisfy the board of trustees of the Police and Firemen’s Retirement system of New Jersey as to his/her eligibility for membership in the retirement system.
- Is able to read, write and speak the English language well and intelligently.
- Is of good moral character, and has not been convicted of any criminal offense involving moral turpitude.
- Must have a minimum of 60 college credits or two (2) years active military service or a combination of the two. (Must provide proof of military service – DD214).
The selection process consists of:
- Written Examination (60% of final score)
- Physical Agility Test (Watch a video on the Physical Agility Test below!) (Pass/Fail)
- Comprehensive Background Investigation (Pass/Fail)
- Oral Interviews (40% of final score)
- Medical Examination (Pass/Fail)
- Psychological Examination (Pass/Fail)
- Drug Testing Through Urinalysis (Pass/Fail)